- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup cake flour (or substitute)*
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 earl grey teabags **
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 170 °C and line your muffin tins with cupcake liners
- Cream the butter and sugar properly on a high speed until the cream becomes pale in colour. This may take a while, especially if your butter isn't room temperature to begin with. Waiting those few extra minutes is worth it, trust me.
- Add the eggs one by one.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift and combine all the dry ingredients.
- On a lower speed, add the dry ingredients into the mixture - a few spoonfuls at a time. Stop mixing as soon as the streaks of dry ingredients disappear. Contrary to when creaming the butter and sugar (step 2), you must now be careful not to over-mix or else the cupcakes will turn out to be denser and heavier - not to mention that they won't look as pretty when halved due to tunneling.
- Pour the milk into the mixture using the same low speed.
- Fill up the cupcake liners.
- Bake on a low heat for around 15 minutes until toothpick comes out dry and cupcakes are springy to the touch.
- Place cupcakes on a cooling rack.
- Prepare a cup of tea and enjoy!
* I didn’t have cake flour; a simple substitute consists of 1 cup cake flour, and 2 tbsp corn flour. Mix, and then use the required amount (1 cup in this case).
** I chose to use Earl Gray for the subtle bergamot flavour and because it’s lighter than certain breakfast blends for instance - but any favourite type of tea can be used! Next time I plan to use Lady Grey tea which is slightly fruitier.
*** For perfectly shaped cupcakes, always place liners in a muffin tin before both filling and baking.
These cupcakes are simple to make and are not time consuming. They look pretty too! I love the speckled poppy-seed-like look and as a result chose not to frost them. Moreover, I believe that frosting would detract from their utterly distinct flavour!
Makes 22 cupcakes